Thursday, January 10, 2013

Counting on dad for Rio - NST

OLYMPICS: Ramdan confident Misbun can steer him to 2016 Games

 .
Misbun Ramdan, who quit the national team, says it’s time to train under his father Misbun Sidek again.


MISBUN Ramdan has missed Misbun Sidek's guidance for the last two years and believes his Olympics dreams will be fulfilled by  training under his father again.

Ramdan said he had a good relationship with his current coach Hendrawan but couldn't resist the urge to train under Misbun and that led to his decision to quit the national team.

In fact, the 22-year-old Ramdan wanted to join Misbun when the latter quit his position as the national singles coach at the end of 2010 but his father wanted him to remain in the national team and learn to be independent.

Ramdan feels the time has come for him to take a familiar route to success as achieved by World No 1 Lee Chong Wei, his uncle Rashid Sidek, Wong Choong Hann, Hafiz Hashim and Roslin Hashim -- all of who were groomed by Misbun.

However, Misbun has not agreed to coach Ramdan yet and the latter is currently training under his uncle Rahman at Nusa Mahsuri.

"I have always wanted to train under my father and I have missed his guidance for the last two years. He has abstained from getting involved in my career since I was under Hendrawan and gave me a free hand but it's time to train under him again," said Ramdan.

"In fact, I wanted to leave the BA of Malaysia (BAM) when my father quit as coach but he insisted that I remained with the national team and learn to be independent. Other than some advice when I really need it, he didn't coach me or be around during tournaments.

"He has been spending time fishing and also conducts Nusa Mahsuri coaching clinics. I have been jealous at times because my father had created many world class players and yet, I couldn't get the opportunity to train under him.

"I wanted to prove myself first and I had some results to show and after winning the national title, I thought it is the right time to persuade my father to take me under his wings again.

"I am confident I can qualify for the 2016 Olympics if I can train under my father. It is not easy to make him change his my mind and I will have to ask my mother's (Latifah) help to achieve my objective."
Chong Wei won more than 20 international crowns and the 2008 Olympics silver under Misbun's guidance and also remained as the World No 1 during that period.

Misbun was also responsible for helping Rashid win the bronze medal in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics while Choong Hann was the first men's singles to finish runners-up in the 2003 World Championships while Hafiz became the 2002 Commonwealth Games winner as well as the 2003 All England champion.


- NST

No comments: