Thursday, August 9, 2012

Azizul remains focused as he eyes more targets

HIS Olympic dream may be over but Azizulhasni Awang is not one to dwell too much on the past.
The cyclist, who finished sixth and last in the keirin event on Tuesday, plans to take a well-earned three-month break back home before stepping up his training for his next targets.

Among those targets are a double gold medal in sprint and keirin in both the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games in 2014 and, of course, the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
“London is over and there are a lot of lessons to take from it. But, rather than dwell on the missed opportunity of a medal, I want to move forward,” said Azizul.

“And Rio 2016 (Olympics) is a long-term target that we will have to look at as well.”
Azizul said there would be a new addition to the family in November “as my wife is pregnant”.
“So it will be nice to spend time with my family and relatives and welcome the baby. I will return to my training base in Melbourne in late December to start the new programme.”

He said that the training programme will have to be modified to increase the workload and also to ensure that targets are met.

“We have worked very hard for the last four years and London was a target for us to achieve a medal. Naturally, I think a review of the programme will be done and adjustments will be made,” he said.
“My performance here in London was my best in years although I won’t say I am satisfied.
“But, like I said, we have to learn from it and use the experience gained for future challenges.

“That way we can ensure that mistakes are not repeated. I rode a good race but it wasn’t enough. I want to ensure that we remain competitive in track cycling but that can only happen if everyone works hard.”
Things are likely to get more challenging for Azizul next year as he will have to juggle three different duties at one time.

With a baby on the way and his training programme set to be intensified, the man nicknamed the Pocket Rocket will also be starting his studies in sports science at the Victoria University.

“Yes, that is going to be a real handful, isn’t it? But I can do it. Education is important for me as that is for the future. Anyway, having knowledge is always useful and will surely help me in my life,” he said.
“I wont be a cyclist forever. So there is a need to look ahead and plan. I want to win more medals and also see track cycling grow in Malaysia.

“But all that can only happen if there is success at the world stage. That is why it is important that Josiah Ng and I have other challengers coming though the ranks to work with us.”








No comments: